Before You Arrive
Welcome to the Global First Year at Florida International University!
Soon you’ll be on campus. How exciting! There is a lot to consider before you arrive. While moving to a new country can be intimidating, we’re here for you. Follow the pre-arrival checklist below to make sure you have everything in place before you board the plane.
Contact Your Advisor
We have a team of dedicated personal advisors whose job it is to make sure all your questions are answered and to ensure you have a smooth transition to the university.
Before you start on any of the steps below, contact your local personal advisor. Simply select your region of the world below, and send your advisor an email, Skype, WhatsApp or WeChat message. We look forward to meeting you very soon!
Russia/Central Asia/Eastern Europe
UK and Western Europe
Middle East/North Africa
Abbie (North Asia excluding Korea)
Doris (South China)
Saranya (Excluding Vietnam)
Viraja (South & West India)
Annie (South China)
Jane (West China)
Lisha (North China)
Mark (Central China)
Vicky (North China)
After you receive the electronic copy of your I-20, complete the following steps before booking your visa appointment:
- Schedule a free visa information and preparation session with your personal Enrollment Advisor.
- Check that the details on your I-20 are correct (including your date of birth) and make sure your name is the same as it appears on your passport.
- Prepare the documents you will need to take to the embassy when attending your visa interview.
After you complete the above steps, you should apply for your visa as soon as possible. It requires an interview with the U.S. Embassy and can sometimes take several weeks to schedule.
- Complete your Visa Application.
- Pay your I-901 (SEVIS) fee.
- Visit usembassy.gov to learn more about scheduling your visa appointment, what to expect when you arrive and the documentation you need to take with you.
- Notify your enrollment advisor of the date and embassy of your visa appointment.
- Watch these videos to help you apply for your visa and prepare for your interview:
When purchasing your ticket, plan to arrive on or before your scheduled move-in day.
We are so excited for you to join us on campus! To ensure a smooth transition to your new home, plan to arrive on or before your official move-in day. Airport pickup is available at Miami International Airport (MIA).
Making your payment in full two weeks before you arrive will help avoid delays with enrollment. Before you begin, please make sure you have your acceptance letter in front of you, as you will need to refer to the information in the letter.
For all application and payment deadlines as well as move-in and program start dates, please visit the Important Dates page.
We are looking forward to meeting you in person!
Making your payment in full 2 weeks before you arrive will help avoid delays with enrollment. Before you begin, please make sure you have your acceptance letter in front of you, as you will need to refer to the information in the letter.
Choose between 2 ways to submit payment for tuition and fees:
- Flywire by Peer Transfer: Please visit Global FIU’s flywire portal to complete the transfer process. Please note that you cannot use a U.S. credit card or U.S. bank account.
- Please be aware that if you do not pay your balance as indicated on your statement of fees by the payment deadline, the following may occur:
- Late payment fees may be charged.
- You may have your scholarship and/or waivers rescinded. In such cases, you will be responsible for the full cost of your program.
- You may encounter delays or other issues enrolling and registering for classes.
You will need to complete and submit the following forms before your arrival.
Students studying Business, Economics, or a STEM (Science,Technology, Engineering, Math) related major must take the ALEKS Math Assessment.
This useful brochure is full of information on your I-20 paperwork required for your visa, what you should pack and other tips to prepare you for your arrival to the FIU campus.
This guide will help you learn more about the process for getting your F-1 visa and arriving in Miami, Florida.
Check off everything on this list to ensure you have completed all the steps before you arrive and bring everything you need to the Florida International University campus.
Here’s an example of what your orientation schedule might look like. During orientation, you will receive a full campus tour, see the sights around Miami and get to know your fellow international students!
Plan ahead! This calendar tells you when class starts and ends, and when holidays and exams are happening.