11 Facts You Didn’t Know about FIU
Florida International University is well-known for its focus on research and embracing the unknown. In that spirit, here are fun facts you should know about FIU while considering where to study!
1. Students come from 142 different countries.
The student population comes from all 50 US states and 142 countries. You’ll get to meet a variety of smart, interesting people from all around the world!
2. You can choose from more than 180 degree programs.
Learning is a top priority. Pick from 180 degree programs, from engineering to business to liberal arts.
3. FIU is among the top 10 largest universities in the USA.
Come to FIU and you’ll join 54,000 students eager to learn, make new friends and prepare for success after graduation.
4. FIU alumni go on to do great things.
Famous graduates include Dr. Stephanie Burns (President and CEO of Dow Corning), Annette Taberner (noted neuroscientist), and Andy Garcia (Oscar-nominated actor).
5. And those are just a few of the more than 200,000 FIU alumni out there.
Over the next decade, another 100,000 will join them as proud FIU graduates ready to celebrate their own successes. Will you be one of them?
6. 96% of FIU faculty members hold a doctoral degree or the highest degree in their field.
So you know you’ll learn from leading minds in their field, whether you want to be a scientist, architect or something you’re still figuring out.
7. FIU operates the only underwater ocean laboratory in the world.
The Aquarius Reef Base is 63 feet below the surface in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. How cool is that? Very.
8. FIU is Miami’s first and only four-year public research university.
So even as an undergraduate, you’ll have the chance to work closely with your professors on important and relevant research.
9. There’s a lot to do while you’re on campus.
There are more than 200 student organizations across a variety of interests, from academics to athletics to cultural pursuits.
10. And the city of Miami offers a lot of fun too.
You’ll find thousands of restaurants, shops and beautiful beaches and parks around Miami. Perfect for taking a break from studying.
11. The average annual temperature in Miami is 76 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees Celsius).
Plus, Forbes magazine ranked Miami “America’s Cleanest City” based on its air quality, green spaces, drinking water, clean streets and recycling programs. It’s a perfect environment for learning, exploring and having some fun along the way.