The Global First Year experience provides more than academic, language and cultural growth. With the included Career Accelerator program, you can also gain valuable professional skills that prepare you for a successful career.
The Career Accelerator is designed specifically for international students:
- Four semesters of professional development and career guidance
- Skills-based training and opportunities for exclusive internships
- Unique workshops, real-world experiences and cross-cultural group work
For students pursuing an internship (or co-op) experience during their college years and/or seeking general preparation for their postgraduate job search.
For students who intend to directly pursue a master’s or doctorate degree.
For students participating in a corporate scholarship program with activities customized to the sponsoring company and/or industry.
For students pursuing a degree to assist with the strengthening and expansion of a family-owned business.
For students intending to start, own, run and manage their own business after graduation.
Four semesters. For your future.
During each semester of the Career Accelerator you’ll build the experience and skills you need to be job-ready when you graduate. Here’s a preview:
- Major Exploration
- Professional Etiquette
- Personal Branding
- Elevator Speech
- Global Occupational Research
- Informational Interviews
- Mock Interviews
- Cover Letters
- Marketing and Social Media
- Career Focus Presentation
- Mentor Matching
- E-Portfolio Profile
- Events: Career Fairs, Externships and Job Shadows
- Strategic Research Presentation
- Career Action Plan
- Emotional Intelligence
- Teamwork Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Leadership Project
- Progress Reflection Presentation
To participate in the Career Accelerator, you must be a Global First Year student who:
- Maintains at least 90 percent attendance for all Career Accelerator activities and workshops
- Completes all major milestone projects
- Remains in good academic standing at FIU
- Remains in good immigration standing and obtains the necessary paperwork to get CPT or OPT from the correct department